Featured Golf Course

In this section learn more about the history of the course and its hometown, see a selection of historic and current images of the course, learn about what the course is like today, and discover nearby historic sites.

Daytona Beach Golf Club - South Course

History

The Daytona Beach Golf Club – South Course is located in the City of Daytona Beach in Volusia County. Opening as the Daytona Golf and Country Club, the South Course was designed by the renowned golf course architect Donald Ross and built under the supervision of club president Carl H. Knappe.  After eighteen months of preparation and hard labor, the first nine holes of the course were formally opened in 1921. The completed 18-hole golf course opened in January of 1923.  In 1944, Ross returned to Daytona Beach to redesign several of the holes and greens, and observed that not all his design details were carried out in the original plans. In 1997, the course was redesigned by Lloyd Clifton, who had served as South Course greens keeper in the 1950s.

New Golf Course Opens Formally at Daytona

Daytona Beach Golf and Country Club

1935 Daytona Beach Golf Club Scorecard Cover

1943 Aerial of Daytona Beach Golf Course

Today

The 18-hole, par-71 South Course at the Daytona Beach Golf Club features three sets of tees playing from 5,100 to 6,200 yards. The course still follows some of the original routing laid out by Donald Ross and winds through dense areas of live oak and pine trees.  With few water hazards, tee shots can be very forgiving, but approaches are demanding if players want to get close to the flag stick on the greens.

Daytona Beach Golf Club - South Course

Daytona Beach Golf Club - South Course

Daytona Beach Golf Club - South Course 15th Green

Daytona Beach Golf Club - South Course Scorecard

Local Knowledge

The current 4th hole is the hardest hole on the course.  This par-5 stretches out 500 yards from the back tee and is bordered by the FEC railroad tracks along the entire length of the left side of the fairway.  The current green is on the south side of Wilder Boulevard, however, the original green was located on the north side of Wilder Boulevard. Today, the old green complex is used as a practice green. Passing trains are common hazards on this golf course, since holes 4, 5, and 6 are separated from the main golf course by railroad tracks.

4th Green [Old and Current] at Daytona Beach Golf Club - South Course

FEC Train Traveling Through the Daytona Beach Golf Club

Inside the Leather

Daytona International Speedway – Daytona Beach has become synonymous worldwide with automotive racing. The history of automotive competition in the area goes back to 1903, when news reports show that a friendly wager between two gentlemen debating who had the fastest horseless carriage spawned “The Birthplace of Speed.” For decades, the wide, hard-packed sands of “The World’s Most Famous Beach” were the scene of early speed trials.

Local mechanic and racing enthusiast Bill France, entered the first stock car race held on the sands of the Daytona Beach Road Course in March of 1936 - and finished fifth. It was the beginning of an era. In 1953, he established Bill France Racing, Inc., and by November, 1957, he had signed the contract to secure land for construction of the Daytona International Speedway. Four years later, the first “Daytona 500” was run on February 22, 1959. Today, Daytona Beach is the home of the world's most diverse racing facility, recognized internationally as the "World Center of Racing."

With tour choices ranging from 30 minutes to three hours, a tour of Daytona International Speedway is an experience to remember for any race fan.  Visit Daytona International Speedway Tours for more details.

Stock Car Racing at the Beach in Daytona Beach 1947

Stock Car Racing at the Beach in Daytona Beach 1952

Daytona International Speedway Tours - Motorsport Hall of Fame

Daytona International Speedway Tours - Start Finish Line

Visit - Contact

Daytona Beach Golf Club - South Course

600 Wilder Boulevard
Daytona Beach, Florida 32114

600 Wilder Boulevard
Daytona Beach, Florida 32114

View the Website

Phone: 386.671.3500