In this section learn more about the history of the course and its hometown, see a selection of historic and current images of the course, learn about what the course is like today, and discover nearby historic sites.
The Fort Myers Country Club is located in the City of Fort Myers in Lee County. From its wild and humble beginnings, of grounds covered with pines and palmettos, an 18-hole golf course was constructed in 1916. Designed by the legendary golf architect Donald Ross, the course was built under the supervision of James B. McGovern, a longtime associate of Donald Ross. Ross and McGovern were founding members of the American Society of Golf Course Architects. Acting Secretary of the Fort Myers Golf and Yacht Club, A.L. White, helped supervise construction of the 18-hole golf course which was officially completed in November of 1917. John Croke of the Exmoor Country Club (Chicago) was selected as the golf club’s professional.
The golf course at Fort Myers Country Club, known locally as “The Fort,” completed a major renovation in 2014. After nearly 100 years, it underwent only the second significant renovation since its opening in 1917.
Golf course architect Steve Smyers said he approached this project as if, “Donald Ross came back and was designing a golf course on the same site today.” Interpreting Ross’s design concepts at every turn, Smyers says the “new” golf course was designed to accommodate the demands and expectations of the modern golfer.
The Fort Myers Country Club includes an 18-hole par-70/71 golf course featuring six sets of tees playing from 4,300 to 6,600 yards. The golf course presents the same character and challenges as Ross’s original layout. Walking is permitted any time of the day, every day of the year, and rarely does a house come into play. The Fort is truly a course of the ages.
In January 1930, Mina (Mrs. Thomas) Edison played her first round of golf on the Fort Myers golf course. Her first swing missed the golf ball completely, but she connected on her second attempt and sent the ball some 90 yards down the fairway. Mrs. Edison finished her 9-hole round with a score of 99. Undiscouraged, and enjoying the game, she ordered a new set of golf clubs. Legend has it that local resident, Thomas Edison suggested to the city leaders that Donald Ross be hired to build the golf course. The Edisons enjoyed life at their Fort Myers winter home from 1885 until Edison’s death in 1931. In 1947, Mrs. Mina Edison deeded the property to the City of Fort Myers in memory of her husband and for the enjoyment of the public.
Edison & Ford Winter Estates - Visitors to the Edison & Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers will enjoy 20 acres of historic buildings and gardens, and the Edison Botanic Research Lab and Edison Ford Museum. Newly restored buildings include the Edison Main House, Guest House, Caretaker’s House and the Henry Ford House. The 1929 historic landscape throughout the property includes the award winning Moonlight Garden. The Edison Ford Museum is home to hundreds of inventions, artifacts and special exhibits. Visit Edison & Ford Winter Estates for more details.
3591 McGregor Boulevard
Fort Myers, Florida 33901
View the Website