Featured Golf Course

In this section learn more about the history of the course and its hometown, see a selection of historic and current images of the course, learn about what the course is like today, and discover nearby historic sites.

Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club

History

Temple Terrace Golf and Country Club is located in the City of Temple Terrace in Hillsborough County. The history of Temple Terrace Golf Course has been physically and culturally interwoven with the City’s history since the early 1920s. The golf course was an integral part of the original plat of the development of Temple Terrace. With a rolling terrain along the Hillsborough River, and land cleared by timbering, the golf course was a key part of the developer’s marketing plan of an exotic resort community that was exclusive yet accessible.

Early promotional literature for Temple Terrace Estates prominently featured the golf course, stating, “The eighteen hole Temple Terraces golf course, destined to be one of the finest in the South, was built for the pleasure of the Club members and their guests, and when you buy a grove you automatically become a life member of the club.”

The developers hired one of the world’s most prolific early golf course designers, Scottish born Tom Bendelow, who was a pioneer in the establishment and growth of the game in America. In a career that spanned little more than 35 years, he is credited with laying out hundreds of golf courses across the United States and Canada.  Bendelow is perhaps best known for his layouts at Medinah Country Club in Chicago and for Olympia Fields Country Club in Olympia Fields, Illinois. 

In 1921, Bendelow arrived from Chicago to look over the Temple Terrace property. He was very much impressed with the beautiful, natural location for a golf course. Work began on the course later that year and the first nine holes were open for play in 1922. The following year, the 18-hole golf course was completed and officially opened. At over 6,600 yards it would be one of the longest golf courses in Florida at that time.

The course is laid out in a “returning nines” design. The idea of returning nines – where a course has two loops of nine holes, each beginning and ending at the clubhouse – dates to the early nineteenth century, and has become a standard approach for golf course design. A returning nines course allows for greater flexibility in the number of rounds played each day, as there can be two starting points, or golfers have the option of playing just nine holes. A single fairway course (as opposed to a course where the fairways parallel each other) uses more land acreage than other types, but creates more space for house lots overlooking the course, as is the case at Temple Terrace.

When Bullard Parkway (originally Temple Terrace Highway) was widened beginning in 1999, tunnels were added under the roadway for use by golf carts and pedestrians. In 2012, the Temple Terrace golf course became the second Florida golf course listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  

1921 Master Plan for Temple Terrace

Temple Terrace Golf Course Plans Drawn by Tom Bendelow

1925 Florida Open Golf Tournament at Temple Terrace

Chocolate Drop Mounds at Temple Terrace Golf Course

National Register Listing Celebration at Temple Terrace Golf and Country Club

Today

The Temple Terrace Golf and Country Club includes an 18-hole, par-72 golf course featuring four sets of tees playing from 5,400 to 6,400 yards. Winding through the historic Temple Terrace Estates community, the original routing follows the natural contours of the land. While some courses have adjusted to improvements in club and ball technology by making holes considerably longer, the Temple Terrace Golf Course continues to challenge players with its narrow fairways and small greens, while retaining original yardages. The result is a playable course that rewards the skilled golfer.  

Temple Terrace Golf Course Layout

18th Green at Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club

9th Hole at Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club

Temple Terrace Golf Course

Local Knowledge

The original Mediterranean Revival clubhouse located behind the 18th green now belongs to Florida College and is used as a dormitory. Renowned Tampa architect M. Leo Elliott designed the Temple Terrace Country Club, which was built as the centerpiece of the golf course community in 1922.

There is no driving range at Temple Terrace. However, players can hit practice balls on a select number of holes. Woods, long irons and short irons can be used on holes number 2, 7, 10 and 14, but only short irons are allowed on hole number 9. Players using practice areas should use marked balls and stay in the fairway. 

Former Clubhouse at Temple Terrace c1930s

Former Clubhouse at Temple Terrace c1930s

Inside the Leather

Play Hickory Golf - Experience the roots of the game of golf by playing your next round with a set of hickory golf clubs!The Pro Shop at Temple Terrace has two sets of vintage 1920’s/30s hickory golf clubs available.  A group in the area known as the Florida Hickory Golfers are dedicated to preserving the pureness and authenticity of the game of golf when it was in its humble beginnings. Florida Hickory Golfers play with authentic hickory shafted golf clubs and host a series of outings each year at nearby golf courses and welcome others to join in. Visit Florida Hickory Golfers for more details.

Hickory Golf Clubs

Hickory Golfer Mike Stevens Teeing Off at the 2014 United States Professional Hickory Golf Tournament at Temple Terrace

Ladies Division at the 2014 United States Professional Hickory Golf Tournament at Temple Terrace

Participants in the 2014 United States Professional Hickory Golf Tournament at Temple Terrace

Visit - Contact

Temple Terrace Golf & Country Club

200 Inverness Avenue
Temple Terrace, Florida 33617

200 Inverness Avenue
Temple Terrace, Florida 33617

View the Website

Phone: 813.988.1791