In this section learn more about the history of the course and its hometown, see a selection of historic and current images of the course, learn about what the course is like today, and discover nearby historic sites.
The Eagle Springs Golf Course is located in the City of DeFuniak Springs in Walton County. In 1920, a group of progressive businessmen recognized that golf links would draw winter tourists to their community, and sought to organize a golf and country club for the benefit of tourists as well as locals. The McKaskils Golf Course was established soon after, but did not last long.
It wasn’t until 1924 when Mr. W.B. Harbeson of the Harbeson Lumber Company donated 160 acres of land and provided financial support for a nine-hole golf course that construction got underway. With his son, Walter Harbeson, in charge, by August of that year 40 acres had been cleared, stumped and then leveled and covered in Bermuda and carpet grass. Good turf was expected by Christmas, and Harbeson intended to have the course open, completed, and ready for tourist golfers by the first of the year, however the exact date of the golf course opening is still unknown.
According to the 1930-1931 American Annual Golf Guide the DeFuniak Country Club was listed as a 9-hole, par 36 golf course with sand greens playing to 3,347 yards. Walter Harbeson was listed as the club president. In 1934, 40 Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) workers were brought in to enlarge the tees, improve the greens and build a practice putting green along with a number of other renovations. For reasons unknown, the club and golf course closed down in the late 1930s or early 1940s. Backed by a number of local golf enthusiasts, the golf club reorganized in 1945 under the direction of club president Charles King. Club members raised money for constructing a new clubhouse and rebuilding the fairways and greens. The golf course remained a 9-hole layout until 1997.
By April 2019, when Walton County purchased the former DeFuniak Springs Country Club and surrounding property, the 190-acre site included an 18-hole golf course, public swimming pool and clubhouse. It was renamed the Eagle Springs Golf Course and Recreational Center. Future expansion plans include fishing docks, walking trails, basketball courts, tennis courts and more. “We’re trying to make it a recreational facility where people can come out there enjoy the family, be outdoors and it’s safe and not expensive,” stated Public Works Manager Shane Supple. The county has already begun making improvements to the course and plans on renovating the golf club in the coming years.
The 18-hole, par-72 Eagle Springs Golf Course features five sets of tees playing from 4,100 to 6,600 yards. Carved from gently rolling hills and pine forests, the course weaves through five spring-fed lakes and natural hazards. Tree lined fairways lead to Bermuda grass greens that are not only elevated but pitched and undulating enough to make the very best of putters a bit nervous.
Eagle Springs Golf Course is an affordable, hidden gem of a course with beautiful views from every vantage point. Currently, all junior golfers (15 and under) play for free.
The original 1920s nine-hole layout at Eagle Springs Golf Course is still in use as the current front nine. In 1928, the course length was listed as 3,140 yards which is only a short pitch from today’s yardage, which plays at 3,183 yards from the white tees.
Located just a few minutes from the Eagle Springs Golf Course is the Historic Walton-DeFuniak Library. Recognized as the oldest continuously operated library in the state of Florida, the historic Walton-DeFuniak Library is located in the heart of DeFuniak Springs. Established in 1886 and built in 1887, the library is a contributing building to the DeFuniak Springs Historic District which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The library has long displayed a special collection of historic weapons that originally belonged to Professor Kenneth Bruce of Palmer College. The collection includes weapons from medieval Europe, Asia and 18th century Kentucky muskets.
The Walton-DeFuniak Library is located at 3 Circle Drive on the North side of Chipley Park. Visit Walton-DeFuniak Library for more details.
171 Country Club Lane
DeFuniak Springs, Florida 32435
View the Website