In this section learn more about the history of the course and its hometown, see a selection of historic and current images of the course, learn about what the course is like today, and discover nearby historic sites.
The Pinecrest Golf Club is located in the City of Avon Park in Highlands County. In the 1890’s Harlan Page Davidson purchased a tract of land on Lake Lotela for a hotel and golf course. In 1925, Harlan’s son, Col. Royal Page Davidson, contracted with golf course architect William Herbert "Bert" Way of Cleveland, Ohio to design a golf course. A year later, the clubhouse and first nine holes of the golf course were complete. In 1936, E.B. Hitchcock of Chicago bought the property and expanded the golf course to 18-holes. The property was sold several times over the next few decades.
The Pinecrest Golf Club includes an 18-hole, par-72 golf course featuring five sets of tees playing from 4,900 to 6,700 yards. The multiple tees allow players to select a course length that can be either challenging or friendly and fun. Its traditional layout is bordered by beautiful orange groves and natural wooded areas. Unlike many Florida courses, Pinecrest doesn't wind its way through condominiums, winter homes and hotels. Pinecrest features relatively open fairways with tricky approaches and challenging greens.
In December 1959, Pinecrest Golf Club was the site of a televised match-play elimination golf tournament for one of the biggest purse in golf at the time $171,000. The tournament was part of "World Championship Golf” which was televised over the NBC-TV network and hosted by Bob Crosby (Bing Crosby’s brother). The eight golfers who played were all Ryder Cup team members. Dr. Cary Middlecoff, a former dentist, won the event. The matches were aired the following year on NBC in May.
Located in the historic Seaboard Air Line Railroad Station, the Depot Museum and Historical Society of Avon Park is a local history museum in Avon Park, Florida. The museum features exhibits that depict the life and times of Avon Park, such as the "Old Home" exhibit, which recreates what an average household looked like in the early 1900s; the Military Room, which displays WWI and II uniforms and memorabilia; and the town's old telephone switchboard which was used until 1985. The museum also has a research room that contains various old newspapers and other materials.
Another highlight of the museum is the California Zephyr Railroad Silver Palm Dining car, which is displayed on the museum grounds and is used for special events and to host public luncheons. Visit www.avonparkhistoricalsociety.com for more details.
2250 South Little Lake Bonnet Road
Avon Park, Florida 33825
View the Website